Pros and Cons of Trumpcare – American Health Care Act (AHCA)
Like it or not, the leadership of Barack Obama has ended and now the United States is led by a new president, Donald Trump as the winner of the American presidential election that was held a few months ago. Obviously, the policies announced by the new US president are definitely different from the policy of the previous president, especially in the term of health care. If the USA had Obamacare when Obama was leading, but now Obamacare is being replaced by TrumpCare, American Health Care Act (AHCA) to match the name of the new leader of this superpower country and it is supported by Paul Ryan who is currently Speaker of the United States House of Representatives. Both Obamacare vs Trumpcare have their pros and cons. While this new health care policy is still in very initial stages, through this brief article, we could briefly list the pros and cons of Trump care as the GOP replacement for Obamacare.
Pros of Trumpcare
- Some of the bills are still taken from earlier president’s provision. However, not all of the provisions are adopted by Trump, but it only takes the essential health benefits. So, Trumpcare does not remove the previous good provisions and they still use some of the Obamacare provisions, but not much.
- Helping all of the people according to class level and it will really be helpful for any middle class people because it will give a significant help to the middle class that did not get covered yet.
- Trumpcare will begin to get rid of some Medicaid funding and it may give a chance to Democrats in order to expand their governmental.
- There is no longer fee needed for those who do not have insurance. In fact, Trumpcare also still keeps the mandate, only removing the fee.
- Trumpcare allows insurance service to provide insurance across state lines by reducing the cost plans despite it may cause fewer protections to the users.
- Trumpcare is a fresh health care service with some interesting plans such as giving a permission to the insurance to sell over state lines, Medicaid grant blocking, making a sick pool and healthcare litigation decrease. But, the people may think that those policies are bad if Trump government does not conduct it properly or the people may disagree if it can even make the poor and sick starve and suffered because they do not get fund on time.
- Trumpcare is really beneficial for large company owners and the bill will try to reduce the tax burden for those business owners. But, for the small employers, there is no regulation change.
Cons of Trumpcare
- Trumpcare is known to make the poor people feel more suffered while it only makes the big employers and rich people happy to get this health insurance. Besides, there are still many sick and poor people in the country that needs help but Trumpcare is not on their side.
- The consumers will pay 30% more for one year just in case they get a coverage lapse for more than two months. In this case, those who cannot pay the healthcare service will get additional cost barrier. We do not know whether it is better than the mandate or it can be even worse.
- Since Trumpcare does not really belong to universal coverage, so the people who do not get covered by insurance will raise up as the time goes on.
- Healthy people may not be incentivized to join the market and most of them apparently get covered from some medicare and work, while a lot of young people need to wait so that they can get coverage.
- The employer mandate is removed by the Trumpcare bill. It may be a good thing for employees or employers who had employer plans at an expensive cost, but it may be bad for those who depend on the coverage of employer. In this case, it will become a more burden on the state to give help.
- It is really different from Obamacare in which Trump care is just an ideological plan implementation with some allowances. For instance, if you struggle with your out of pocket cost or stuck in the Medicaid gap, then you will only have a little option, and there will be no more options for it. Perhaps, Trump’s health care plans a cheaper healthcare but there will still be some problems on the system.
- Age-based credit is to replace tax credit as well as there will be no longer medical expansion and pocket assistance.
- It is not enough to count on the bill in reducing state deficit unless the government performs deep cuts.
- The idea is only taken from the Paul Ryan and the crew while the others are ignored. This idea is totally coming from the current leader and no one can give an idea to what they have made.
Affordable Care Act – Obamacare
The official name for “ObamaCare” is the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), or Affordable Care Act (ACA). The main objective of this policy was to improve the standards of health services and make it more affordable for everyone. Additionally, the policy aimed at reduction of the health care expenditures of the county. This policy increased the prospects of health insurances for many Americans who were initially deprived of it.
Lack of Insurance
As announced by Trump, a new health policy will be initiated. The repeal of the old policy will leave 18 million people of the country uninsured only in the first year. According to estimates, 32 million Americans will lose their insurance after repealing, creating a number of health problems and increased expenditure of the citizens
The repealing of the Obama Care policy instead of just changing a few aspects for further improvement will result in an increased premium to almost double the current amount.
Up till now, no alternatives have been thought by the Republicans. Although it is being claimed that the repeal will be followed by a step by step introduction of a better health care policy but no practical steps have been taken by now. The budgetary implications of the “possible health care bills” are yet to be seen to finalize the health policy of the Trump government.
No chances of Improvement
A tentative bill, which is under consideration to be implemented as the health policy for the country, is not intended to improve the system over time. In the bill, there are no penalties set for the non-insurers, which will increase the risks and expenditure of the health care industry, resulting in the deterioration of the entire system.
Change in the Insurance Mix
The “no penalty provision” will also change the insurance mix, creating economic problems for the country because the younger individuals will prefer going without insurance but the older ones will want to avail it, so the current mix of the health insurance industry will get uneven, affecting the economic conditions of the country and increasing the risk of the default of insurance industry.
Trickle Down Effect
The research works show that the elimination of 32 million people from the health insurance net will result in three major changes. Firstly, the insurance coverage in the individual market will result in no insurance for 23 million people. Secondly, the Medicaid coverage will cover 19 million fewer people. Thirdly, an increase in the employment-based insurance will be expected, which is a bit positive aspect of the policy, but the overall negative impact will not be overruled.
Single Payer Health Care System
In the single health payer system, the government is supposed to contribute towards the health of the individuals of the country if they get ill as the provision of health is amongst the basic necessities of the people. In order to achieve this objective, the government can take a number of steps, which might include the laws related to the compulsory health insurance or the deduction of health taxes at the source to accommodate the health problems of all the individuals.
Bad Governance of the Progressive governments
However, the bad government of the progressive governments of the United States of America has not resulted in the implementation of this dream policy. The Obama Care or the health policy of the Democrats was not much good, which could have been assumed to provide ease to the health problems or health insurance of all the people of the country. However, the repealing of this policy and the implementation of the Trump policy, which based on many assumptions will put the country in an even worse situation. The damages estimated to the health insurance industry, the health of the people and the costs associated with them are expected to increase to an even further level.
Dream of Proper health Care stays a dream
Thus, an overlook of the health care priorities and the policies of the government show that the government of United State (irrespective of the party) is not much serious about the single payer health policy or the actual Universal coverage, rather both the parties are just fighting to show that they are doing something good for the people but none of them has become successful in making some foolproof policy. However, in this entire situation, the people of United States have been regarded as the losers of the situation.
Trumpcare, American Health Care Act (AHCA) vs Obamacare are two different healthcare services that have their own benefits. When Barack Obama led the USA, Obamacare offers a lot of benefits with some pros and cons. Each healthcare must have pros and cons. As they ar,e also found in the Trump’s health care plan where there are some good things that the people will get and there are some cons that the people may disagree with. For those who live in the USA, they need to follow the policies of Trumps and Paul Ryan because they will lead the country up to five years to go and they need to be patient and take the benefits of Trumpcare that is just implemented by the new government. Perhaps, you only need to wait for a few years and there may be some improvements that will be done by Trump government.